Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Poker, Beer & Gas

Last night was our "poker night." We played for money, only $5, but I lost it all anyway. But, before that Dave cooked Steaks and potatoes for me and Cory and various "vegetarian" cuisine for Renea and Luke. We played cards for about 4 and a half hours before everyone cashed out. It was a good game, despite me losing all my chips. We're playing again Thursday night, I believe. It's funny that we just started playing about a week ago and now we're hooked and planning to play every other night. It's just a lot of fun... I think it would be more fun to take money from my friends next time, but still it's a good time.
So today is Valentine's Day, everyone is walking around with oversized balloons and stuffed animals. I've heard the phrase "it's the thought that counts" quite a few times today, further proving why I didn't do anything for it.. if I can't do something right, why do it at all?
I got gas yesterday, for- gasp!- only $27.00. It's still a lot, but it has gone down. The new Wawa on Delsea has it for $1.94 as of this afternoon. The only problem is that's still pretty high. I'm no different from anyone else, I still buy gas and don't limit my travel because of how much it costs. What I think is funny is that since gas was in the $3.00 range not so long ago, everyone is smitten with paying $2.00 for gas, when it was still nowhere near that high before the whole hurricane situation. The hurricane/"gas shortage" gave the oil companies a big break actually, despite what they'd have you believe. Perhaps the raise in price was warranted, probably not the extent of raising they did, but still the natural disaster did shut down oil rigs and refineries. The genius of it was, after the "shortage" was over and all the refineries were up and running again, the prices didn't drop. They stayed where they were for quite some time, before they started dropping slowly. Then they started to hang in the low $2 range. The gas companies didn't receive too much animosity about that because it was a good dollar lower than it had been, so they capitalize on the ignorance of the public that believes that they are getting a deal on gas now. No one seems to notice that gas should have, but didn't, return to close to it's original price after the hurricane. The prices are finally dropping, hopefully they'll keep going this time until it's reasonable again. Wishful thinking probably.

butabup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

high gas prices? this is why i walk/don't own a car. that and insurance.

cory shall no longer win at poker. i will make sure of this.