Thursday, February 09, 2006

Corporate County College

Why does everything seem to contradict itself? All you ever hear about education is that you need it to succeed, even though people that graduate college may have learned absolutely nothing. All a college degree really means is that you put in your time and put up with the bullshit for long enough, and, most importantly, paid for your credits. Everything comes down to money. Even community colleges are way overpriced. They are supposedly for students who can't afford 4-year schools and people that don't have time for school. Yet, on top of the high tuition costs, each book costs about $90.00 on average. With the amount of money I spent this semester alone on books, I could have taken another class. I don't understand why the books can't be provided like in high schools, and it's the student's responsibility to take care of them or they have to pay. That makes sense. But not only do they not do that, they also change the edition of the book each year, which really means they add a new picture or change the cover of the book, while the information stays exactly the same. The only reason for the "update" is so students can't trade back in their books for money at the end of the semester. Not like it really matters anyway.. I traded in my 2 history books today, which together cost about 120 dollars, the total amount I received for the books was $19.00. These books were unused, completely the same condition as when I bought them 3 weeks ago. Gotta love the corporate college bookstore bullshit. And now, they will put a "Used" sticker on them both and sell them for 45 a piece. Fucking rediculous.
I really hate college. Capitalist reasons aside, the whole concept of it is lost. Many classes start out with the professors asking why each student took the class. The most popular answer is "It was required." People aren't here to learn, they're here to limp their way through class after class, until they've spent enough money to deserve a piece of paper declaring that they're an official on one subject or another, which is almost never the case. I, believe it or not, am here to learn. It's hard to do though, because the professors are almost as lazy as many students, they give out b/s classwork and even easier tests. There are a few professors here that do take their job seriously and try to teach, and they are appreciated. However, I find it hard to bring myself to come to class each day knowing that it will be an intellectually devoid hour and a half of my life that I will never get back. I'd be better off watching the new Quentin Tarantino flick. More likely to learn something that way.

Be a fool, stay in school

No comments: