Thursday, February 02, 2006

Do your part to save the scene and stop going to shows

"And when they drag you kicking and screaming from the scene you know that it's time to leave" ~Less Than Jake
Those words seem to sum up my current situation. I saw Less Than Jake twice in the past 2 weeks. It feels like I'm just getting too old for shows or something. I guess not so much I'm getting to old, more the crowds seem to be getting younger. All music now is tainted by the pseudo-punk wannabe 13-year-old girls that get dropped off to the show by their parents. They go along with whatever trend and whatever top 10 band Q102 is counting down this week. They listen to Missy Elliot fade out into Fall Out Boy on the radio and then they come to shows and get an attitude with the people who have been fans from the start before they dreamed of radio airplay because we get in the crowd to mosh. The Less Than Jake show in Philly was pretty good, but the one at the Stone Pony in Asbury was less than thrilling for me. It was packed as tight as could be, and people made it even harder than it already was to open up a pit. Once we did though, everyone would just rush across the middle and trip over each other. People just don't know how to mosh these days. All they want to do is get out there and do martial arts, something I don't get, not to ska/punk music anyway. Ska concerts make me even more sad though, because no one knows how to skank, which for those of you who don't know is a dance/mosh you do to ska music (which is like reggae mixed with punk.) I'm thrilled whenever I go to ska shows in Philly because there's still a big population of ska kids there who remember how it used to be. I don't know, maybe I AM getting too old for this shit, but it's hard to let go of it since I've been going for so long.

Help.

No comments: