Thursday, February 02, 2006

First real entry

It's been about an hour since I created this blog, so I figured it's time to update. Still at work, mind you. My job is not too taxing, it's quite relaxed actually. When I don't have something to do, I may go to the chinese buffet for lunch with my friend Cory, who also works with me, or maybe I'll just go for a drive in my company truck (I don't actually own it, I just use it at work) and listen to the new Acceptance cd. While this job pays well and is very easy, I want more. I want a job I can be proud of. I'd like to be able to answer the question "What do you do for a living?" Because this will never be a living, it's a temporary position any way you look at it. It's very good for me right now, it's got good hour (depending on how you look at it) and I have very little work-related stress.
I guess what got me thinking about this is a movie I saw last night, Annapolis. It was a very good movie about a young man who was raised with shipworkers across the river from the Annapolis Naval Academy. His father was content with him becoming a worker like him, but he resented the fact that his father would settle for such mediocrity and went away to the Navy. Everyone he knew from home believed he would fail, but he proved them wrong. I want to prove someone wrong, even though I don't think any of my friends or family consider me a failure, I feel like one. I don't want to get all dramatic about it, I'm happy. But, I feel I have accomplished nothing in my life: I'm going nowhere with school, my job is pretty set with no room for advancement, etc. I would like to change these things, but my problem is that I feel content with the right now and wrongly am not concerned so much with the future. I guess certain life experiences have made me worry more about living my life in the now before it's too late. So hopefully, I can turn some of this stuff around.

See Annapolis, it was a great movie.

Butabup.

No comments: