Monday, February 13, 2006

Don't make V-Day VD-Day

Let me just start by saying any girls reading will probably think I'm a completely heartless, un-romantic, anal dwelling butt-monkey for saying these things.. but they should be said anyway. I'm referring to Valentine's Day. It's the biggest joke of a holiday ever. First of all, it's a FACT that this holiday was created by Hallmark (I believe, it was a greeting card at least), therefore giving it no merit in my book. No great leader died, no great savior was born or ressurected, and... no Irish people distributed green beer on this date. I understand the capitalist needs of business owners, but to create a holiday simply to guilt customers into spending whole paychecks on, when it comes down to it, worthless items to show their affection, there's some kind of wrong in that. All you hear right up to the 14th is "Personalized Teddy Bears! Diamond Necklaces half off at only $1400.00!!! Gold plated vibrators!" Aside from the last one, none of those things are really useful. We've just been conditioned to believe that they're the way to show someone you care. I have to say, if you need a special holiday designed for you to show how much you care about someone, you don't care about them anyway.. besides we already have those things in anniversaries of significant events. You should show your affection anytime you feel the urge to tell your significant other that they really mean the world to you, and you should show it creatively, not by getting them the biggest diamond or the most expensive watch. Have some imagination, people, don't let yourself be led by the nose by jewelers and electronic stores... that's what they want.
I also want to bring up one specific banner/billboard I witnessed. It was for a jewelry store. It had a woman's face, a ring and a quote saying "Honey, my present is ready." What this subliminally suggests to the average man with a girlfriend or wife driving by is "You know she's expecting something from you.. you better not disappoint her by getting her roses or chocolate covered cashews." That just annoys me to no end. I mean, it doesn't bother me SO much, just because I don't buy into the marketing bullshit, but I know others do and it's annoying. The guy in the relationship shouldn't be any more required to do something for V-Day than the woman should. So, don't buy in to it, just be yourself.

Honey, my vomit is ready.

No comments: