Saturday, December 16, 2006

Standing in the way

Reality is subjective.
It's more evident this time of year.
Look at all the kids waiting for the parade to end so they can give Santa their letters.
They're sure that he's really reading over them and bringing what they want.
Then look at the parents who recognize the guy dressed as Santa.
The look in their eyes saying "Don't get too close to my kid."
The man behind the beard trying to stay cheerful for an hour and a half until he gets his check.
Households, families, cities, states.
All upholding this lie.
The weather sattelite on Christmas Eve picks up a strange sight of a sleigh and reindeer.
Drunken uncles scoffing at the gullibility of children.
When really, it's just innocence.
Naivity is a virtue we can't afford when we get older.
We always have to be on our toes.
Reality is never objective, still.

I've been remembering my dreams a lot lately. I usually don't.
Last night I dreamt some weird things. Among them, I was walking around with my great grandfather. Not so strange or extraordinary, except that he died several years ago. We were walking down his street. Walking by his house, talking about what he was going to do (now that he was back from the dead, I suppose?) I asked him if he ever felt sad that we sold his house, as tears welled up in my eyes. He said yes, but he planned to get it back and live there again. We continued walking, as I held his hand tight, like a scared child. We just wandered down the street, chatting as if everything would be okay now that he was back. I think if I had a religion, he would be the bible. So, him rising from the dead isn't that much of a stretch. He is my Messiah. When I question the world, I look to him for answers and he always delivers.

More of the same.

(dm)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its always good to have faith in something, everyone needs that one thing to keep them strong when there at their worst or even in times when they just need one thing to remind them that things do get better. That theres always at least one good thing to come out of every bad. Finding that one good thing isnt easy..its hard as hell. Such as life.. Im glad you have him.

Just as im glad i have you as my friend, even if times are hard now. You still mean the world to me. <3